There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I have a "blank" WordPress theme for myself, because I make a lot of WordPress themes. Starting from Kubrick, or any other pre-made theme, would be absurd. There is to much stuff there that would to be stripped out or fought against to be useful.
So, I have my own starter theme. It's been in a folder called
BLANK-theme on my computer for a while, so I'm going to call it BLANK. And now I'm making it available for you. Read on to find out the scoop on it and you can decide if it would be of any use to you.
What is BLANK?
It is a WordPress theme with all the functionality of a typical WordPress theme but almost none of the styling. The idea is that when starting a new theme, it is far easier to use this as a base then a theme that is already finished and styled.
What are some of it's "features"?
- Things are as semantically marked up as can be for a starter theme.
- It's HTML5.
- The sidebar is widget-ready.
- Page titles are optimized for best SEO and readability/usability.
- Functions.php file provides some cool extra features.
- Has some starter CSS ready to go, more about that below.
includesfor some key things, like under-title meta data and forward/back navigation, that are very common places for redundant code in themes.
About the CSS
As you can see from the screenshot above, the CSS is pretty barren, but not entirely! Here are some things the CSS is set up for:
- Includes a .group selector for the new clearfix
- Has basic toolbox and WordPress-standard CSS classes.
- Includes standard typography-related selectors.
- CSS for threaded comments is in there, but light on actual styling.
- Both screen and print styles included in single stylesheet. Print styles optimized for generic nice printing.
Demo and Download
If you want to take a peek at it live, you can view it in our Theme Clubhouse (you can also download it from there).