Out of the thousands of plugins available for WordPress, there is one that all WordPress users are familiar with: Hello Dolly. As far as I know, the Hello Dolly plugin was the first WordPress plugin and has been included with every version of WordPress. The plugin is so familiar that many WordPress users don’t even think about it. They either activate the plugin or delete it without giving it a second thought. But if you actually stop to think about it for a moment, the following questions seem inescapable:
- Why is the Hello Dolly plugin included with WordPress?
- What purpose does Hello Dolly serve? Why have a sacred cow?
- How much time is wasted dealing with the Hello Dolly plugin?
- How many people would install the plugin if it weren’t included?
- How many people would like to see the Hello Dolly removed from WordPress?
- Should I be thinking these sorts of things? Why I am feeling this way?
The more I think about it, the more I question whether or not the Hello Dolly plugin should be bundled with WordPress. Don’t get me wrong, I like Louis Armstrong as much as the next guy, but I just wonder if retiring ‘ol Dolly to the Plugin Repository wouldn’t make the WordPress installation and setup process a little easier for everyone.
What do you think? Take the poll!
Should the Hello Dolly plugin be included with WordPress?
Total Voters: 1,340