About Digging Into WordPress
Written by WordPress veterans Chris Coyier and Jeff Starr, Digging Into WordPress is 400+ jam-packed pages of everything you need to get the most out of WordPress. WordPress is great right out of the box, but unless you want an ordinary vanilla blog, it is essential to understand its full potential and have the right tools to get the job done. This book is your guide for making it happen.
In clear, easy-to-read language, Digging Into WordPress shows you how to harness the power of WordPress’ and take your site to the next level. From setup and configuration and customization to syndication, security and optimization, Digging Into WordPress gives you everything you need to maximize the success of your site.
Written with the perfect balance of theory, explanation and code, each chapter focuses on teaching you how to improve your site using many different techniques, tips, and tricks. Each technique is fully self-contained, providing complete instructions and clear explanations to make implementation a breeze.
Along the way, as you learn about how to maximize, optimize and streamline your site, you’ll also get scores of bonus information in the form of “pop-out” boxes and side notes. These popouts and asides provide you with further context, insider information, and many more awesome techniques to improve your WordPress-powered site.
What You’ll Get
Here’s what you’ll get with Digging Into WordPress:
- Solid, in-depth understanding of how to configure, customize, optimize, and secure your WordPress-powered site
- Clear, concise language that explains how to do it right the first time
- Perfect balance of theory, technique, and the code to make it happen
- Tons of bonus information containing hints, secrets, and tips & tricks
- A beautifully designed book presented in full-color landscape format
- Plenty of vivid graphics and figures to help explain abstract concepts
- Many code snippets ready for easy step-by-step, copy-&-paste usage
- A vast collection of useful resources hand-picked from around the Web
- A lifetime subscription to all future book updates (PDF version)
- A linked Table of Contents for quick navigation
- Hyperlinked URLs used throughout the book
- Fanatical customer support
- And much more!
Digging Into WordPress is perfect for WordPress users in the beginner to intermediate range, but contains plenty of great information for the advanced user as well. If you have any level of experience working with web design or WordPress, this book is written to help you take WordPress to the next level.
What You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to get the most out of Digging Into WordPress:
- A desire to get the most out of WordPress and run an awesome site
- Basic knowledge of how to setup and work with dynamic websites
- Basic knowledge of CSS and HTML (Some familiarity with PHP is helpful, but not required)
- And of course $27 for the PDF (includes free lifetime updates)
Here are some of the awesome techniques that you will learn from Digging Into WordPress:
- Setup multiple loops the right way
- Setup page-specific menu styles
- Create the perfect sidebar (and multiple sidebars)
- Import and display Twitter, Delicious, and more
- Create, customize, and use child themes
- Implement multiple themes for your visitors
- Widgetize your sidebar and virtually anything else
- Learn the inside tips for choosing the best plugins
- Create your own custom theme functions
- Maximize WordPress as a Content Management System (CMS)
- Configure and optimize your WordPress feeds
- Setup and distribute your feeds with Feedburner
- Add feed images, style your feeds, and add custom content
- Customize and optimize the WordPress Comments Area
- Learn about custom comment loops, threaded comments, and more
- Learn the best ways to defend against spam
- Optimize your site for the search engines
- Control duplicate content and optimize your permalinks
- How to track your site’s statistics to measure success
- Secure WordPress, your files, database, and content
- Optimize the performance of your site
- How to monitor and fix errors
Plus hundreds more tips, tricks and techniques sprinkled throughout the book. As you learn the hows, whens, and whys of maximizing WordPress, you get many super-cool techniques and tons of great inside information along the way.
Here are some of our favorite features of Digging Into WordPress.
Living, Breathing PDF Format…
The PDF version of the book is awesome because we are able to update and expand it indefinitely. As WordPress changes, the book will evolve with new information, techniques, and code. This is why we call the DigWP PDF a “living, breathing document” — it grows with WordPress, and is updated and improved along with the software. To date, DigWP has been updated 13 times!
The PDF format is awesome for working online, especially for a tech book like this. PDFs offer you the ability to copy and paste code or anything else from the book. There are actual live hyperlinks you can click for more information on topics in the book. And perhaps best of all, you can search a PDF, for when you are looking for that specific bit of information you need.
…a Printed Version for your Desk
In addition to the PDF version, printed copies of the book may also be available. Sometimes there is no better way to read a book than to literally have it in your lap. The print edition is great for your desk too, because of the spiral binding, the book can actually lay flat next to your keyboard. You don’t miss out on a thing buying the print version, because it automatically comes with a free copy of the PDF and all of its bundled themes and extras.
All DigWP customers automatically get a lifetime subscription to all future updates and new versions of the book. Chris and I are crazy about WordPress and plan on sharing our experience as time goes on. There are other WordPress books out there, but this one won’t get old and outdated as WordPress evolves. Whenever we release a new version of the PDF, simply log in to the Members Area for instant download.
To help promote the book, we are also providing an affiliate program. If you like the book and want to help sell it, you can earn money doing so. For the PDF version of the book, we avoid the substantial costs typically involved with the printing, handling and shipping of a physical product. So, we are offering a 50% commission for all affiliate sales. You are doing the legwork, and we appreciate it. Learn more here.
Here is what others are saying about Digging Into WordPress:
Thank you for teaching me how to fish. — Eddie
I spent ALL night reading… worth every single penny paid.— Carlos
Thanks for making learning easy and fun, guys! — Jillian
The book is great as well and definitely worth every cent. — Mark
IT IS A MUST HAVE for anybody using WP. — Jean
About the Authors
Digging Into WordPress is written by Chris Coyier and Jeff Starr, who “eat their own dog food” when it comes to talking WordPress. Between them, nearly 100 WordPress sites manufactured. They work with and write about WordPress just about every day, sharing WordPress tips and tricks at the book’s companion site, DigWP.com. Beyond working with WordPress, both Chris and Jeff are professional web developers and designers, applying many years of cumulative experience into every aspect of web and graphic design.
- Chris Coyier is a real world web designer who has been reaching for WordPress to power client sites for many years. He subscribes to the theory that not only is WordPress capable of powering any website it is almost always the right choice.
- Jeff Starr is a professional developer, designer, author, and publisher with over 10 years of experience on the Web. He develops WordPress plugins, creates WordPress themes, and enjoys teaching others about WordPress, web design, security, and everything in between.
Here are the ISBN numbers for print and PDF versions of Digging Into WordPress:
- Printed Book